Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Not sure if this is the right site for me? Help with sister

Not sure if this is the right site for me? Help with sister

Postby Beth » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi,

I am not sure if I am on the right track, but I have been having quite a few problems with my sister - since our parents divorced 20 years ago she has displayed what i call ' attention seeking' behaviour. It has had such an affect on me that I dont know how to deal with her.

There is a lot of background, is there anyone who could maybe help me? I try to talk with her to clear the air but she never wants to talk and sweeps everything under the carpet - I am left feeling angry, frustrated and upset.
Beth

Sounds like HPD?

Postby afriend4help » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:08 am

Doesn't this sound like Histrionic Personality Disorder?
afriend4help

Postby axion » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:05 pm

H.P.D. has many other factors involved other than attention seeking needs.
You need to be more specific with her displays as you describe in this message post for other to be of help....
axion

Dear friend

Postby courage » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:27 am

I don't know if this will help, but usually when someone is doing things to "get attention" it is because some where deep inside there is a need that is not being met. When people don't want to talk about stuff, it is because they are afraid to. Sometimes they think that you will look down on them or stop loving them if they are honest. But if you tell someone you love that they can tell you anything and that you will still love them no matter what, they will feel safe and be free to say the things they were never able to say before.

And always remember that when you ask a question, God has an answer - just look for the signs. :)
courage

Postby wind » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:06 am

hello Beth,

i know it seems like quite a long time (20 years since the divorce) but in many many cases the unresolved grief can cause all sorts of problems and weird reactions. it may not be just attention seeking but grief symptoms that have lasted too long. counselling is the best way to go through that.

i'm sorry to see that you have undertaken all tins burden since you also have been through the grief that was caused by the divorce of your parents. you love your sister and this is great but try to remember that you are not her mother and that your self also needs all the love you can give!

wind.
wind

Return to Mental Disorders Forum