Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Nightmare Disorder

Nightmare Disorder

Postby Vespera » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:40 am

G'Day All,

I am searching for some constructive advice on how to better manage Nightmare Disorder.

I am a 37 year old woman who has suffered from this disorder since early childhood.

I have been trying to get a grip on this condition since my mid teens, but I am running out of things to try.

Any suggestions you think may help me would be much appreciated.

:?

[color=violet][/color]
Vespera

nightmares

Postby bizzybawdy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:59 am

I used to work for a group home agency and they used creative visualization. How you might apply that would be to take 20-30 minutes each morning to recreate the nightmare from night before in your mind, but create a different outcome. Also at night retire a little early to relax and meditate. Try talking to yourself about being in control and having the power to overcome any situation in your dreams and be able to tell yourself while dreaming that it is only a dream and you can awaken yourself whenever you want to. create and repeatt a mantra. Example might be' I am powerful and in control even in my dreams". Practice waking yourself up. It may sound silly to you, but you will be surprised at how much control you actually have in your sleep.
bizzybawdy

Postby Lenore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:53 pm

You could have a treatable sleep disorder. Check your online yellow pages and call a sleep clinic-

You could talk to a physician and get some advise, at the very least.

My best friend worked for one, Ill ask her if she's heard of anything like what youve described.
Lenore

Nightmares simple treatment

Postby SleepMaster » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:46 pm

For those who may experience nightmares, please follow the guideline below on how to get rid of them (the nightmares):
[b]1. Precondition #1:[/b] you experience identical episodes from night to night.
The solution is relatively simple, however, you need to follow it as described below: regardless how scary the episode might be, you have to participate in it. It means, that in your dream you do exactly as it is expected from you to do. Again in your dream, as an example, if someone says to jump from the top of the building, then you do jump. ObApply this advice to your own dreams and modify your behavior accordingly. Obviously, nothing is going to happen to you.
[b]Explanation of this phenomenon:[/b] by completing any scary moment you will replace your nightmare precognition by something, which is not scary or unknown to you. That is how to remove your nightmares from your memory.
[b]2. Precondition #2:[/b] all your nightmares are different from one dream to another. This is more complicated case when you are required to analyze your dreams and try to find some similarities between them. Then, before falling asleep, you need to construct in your mind any possible scenario of that common dream of yours, as well as you need to decide what you are planning to do when this situation happens.
Note: there are total of over 120 different possibilities for the nightmares to take place and the technique to get rid of them. Please come back with more questions on specifics of your nightmares.
[b]HAVE A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP![/b]
SleepMaster

Postby foreclosure505 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:30 am

Hi Vespera!

Get into a healthy sleep routine.
Try to go to bed about the same time and wake up at the same time every day. Unless you're sick or didn't get enough sleep the night before, avoid naps during the day. Avoid eating or exercising just before bedtime. Avoid scary books or movies before bedtime if you think they might be causing your nightmares.

If nothing else seems to work, you may need to visit a doctor or a sleep clinic. Your doctor may prescribe medicine designed to help you sleep through the night.
foreclosure505

Re: Nightmares simple treatment

Postby kunio2012 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:37 pm

[quote="SleepMaster"]For those who may experience nightmares, please follow the guideline below on how to get rid of them (the nightmares):
[b]1. Precondition #1:[/b] you experience identical episodes from night to night.
The solution is relatively simple, however, you need to follow it as described below: regardless how scary the episode might be, you have to participate in it. It means, that in your dream you do exactly as it is expected from you to do. Again in your dream, as an example, if someone says to jump from the top of the building, then you do jump. ObApply this advice to your own dreams and modify your behavior accordingly. Obviously, nothing is going to happen to you.
[b]Explanation of this phenomenon:[/b] by completing any scary moment you will replace your nightmare precognition by something, which is not scary or unknown to you. That is how to remove your nightmares from your memory.
[b]2. Precondition #2:[/b] all your nightmares are different from one dream to another. This is more complicated case when you are required to analyze your dreams and try to find some similarities between them. Then, before falling asleep, you need to construct in your mind any possible scenario of that common dream of yours, as well as you need to decide what you are planning to do when this situation happens.
Note: there are total of over 120 different possibilities for the nightmares to take place and the technique to get rid of them. Please come back with more questions on specifics of your nightmares.
[b]HAVE A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP![/b][/quote]
I think the problem with this is that if you try to jump from a building in your dream, you're guaranteed to wake up from your reaction. This happens to me sometimes and every time I get that dream I would find myself awake after a kick because of the impact of the "jump".
kunio2012

don't know what to do!!

Postby daniv124 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:26 am

for th past three weeks i have been going though an unexplainable experience which i feel is what they call Night Terrors...some people including my parents look at me like i am crazy! As we speak i just work up 5 in the am terrified i see things hear thing and feel things when i wake up and sometimes i feel like i can't breathe or move....should i see a doctor about this or ignore it? mind you i live in a house that is from 1892 and we have (all of us , my whole family) have had experiences of the unknown here....is it just fear or my imagination? sometimes i feel like im not even me when i wake up....like im someone else...i sound absolutely nuts please what should i do!!!!
daniv124

Return to Mental Disorders Forum