Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Are there moms out there dealing with early onset bipolar?

Are there moms out there dealing with early onset bipolar?

Postby momof5 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:14 am

Depression and bipolar do have run in my family for years. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in my early 30s. I have a 16-year-old who was FINALLY diagnosed with bipolar at age 14. We had gone through years of wrong diagnoses, violent behavior, manic behavior, and severe depression and suicide attempts.
Its very difficult to find other parents who understand..Most think that my husband and I are just exxagerating or making excuses. Many think that our daughter is just a brat who needs more discipline.

If you can relate, PLEASE reply.
If you have questions, I may be of some help.
Amy
momof5

Postby wind » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:40 am

dear Amy,
I had the chance of meeting a boy once, who's sister had committed suicide.
she was manic-depressive... they have a wonderful mother (prbly like you) who has filled them with love. her daughter's suicide was something she couldnt prevent, couldn't change, couldn't have saved her or any other member of the family from the intense pain they went through.

it is true that people dont understand, they tend to blame the family, people blamed the girl for living a life that they couldnt match with what they consider "normal", usual etc....

the mother and the boy also visited a psychiatrist, i am not sure though abt the diagnosis. it usualy runs the family though.

i personally deeply admire the people who are striving to blossom in a society that cannot stand and cannot relate to anything that deviates in any manner.

i believe that people with psychiatric disorders have a very special way of viewing things and i have met quite few of them at points. we can only learn from these special wavelengths.

be strong.
wind
wind

Thank you--

Postby momof5 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:07 pm

I appreciate your kind words.
I don't know how many times I have followed my daughter around the house when she was very depressed and suicidal, sat at the edge of her bed until I was sure she was asleep, and when needed, taken her to the psych ward...I can't imagine the pain that family endures--I'm sure that it will never "go away."
Manic-depressive is the same thing as Bipolar--bipolar is just a newer term for the same disease. I have had an uncle and a cousin who commited suicide...I have a nephew that has bipolar and refuses to stay on medication. He is brilliant--(but dropped out of pre-med to pursue his music.) He is very musically talented, but it didn't work out. He is now 40-years-old and has never had a successful relationship.
This is what I'm trying to prevent with my daughter (who is a talented actress, author, and taught herself to play guitar.) All I want is for her to be happy.
I don't believe in the term "normal"-especially when it comes to human beings.
I'm glad there are people like you who are understanding, insightful, and compassionate.

Amy

[quote="wind"]dear Amy,
I had the chance of meeting a boy once, who's sister had committed suicide.
she was manic-depressive... they have a wonderful mother (prbly like you) who has filled them with love. her daughter's suicide was something she couldnt prevent, couldn't change, couldn't have saved her or any other member of the family from the intense pain they went through.

it is true that people dont understand, they tend to blame the family, people blamed the girl for living a life that they couldnt match with what they consider "normal", usual etc....

the mother and the boy also visited a psychiatrist, i am not sure though abt the diagnosis. it usualy runs the family though.

i personally deeply admire the people who are striving to blossom in a society that cannot stand and cannot relate to anything that deviates in any manner.

i believe that people with psychiatric disorders have a very special way of viewing things and i have met quite few of them at points. we can only learn from these special wavelengths.

be strong.
wind[/quote]
momof5

Return to Mental Disorders Forum