Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Panic/Anxiety disorder with Hypochondriasis

Panic/Anxiety disorder with Hypochondriasis

Postby Missy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:35 am

Anyone?

It all started in the early 90's after Hurricane Andrew devestated my family. Then 3 years later I gave birth and had a bad bout of Post Partum Depression. Once that got under control. I noticed that some of the symptoms of PPD hung around after the depression left. The anxiety/panic attacks continued, but not quite as bad.

As I got older, I was diagnosed wtih OCD, which I find is connected to Anxiety/Panic Disorder....

Now as I go thru every day, I find myself TERRIFIED of every ache and pain and I am wondering if the Hypochondriasis is also connected wtih the anxiety crud.

Anyone else dealing with being scared of life or am I just special?
Missy

SCARED TOO...

Postby BSQUARED » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:41 pm

I CAN TOTALLY REALATE. EVERYDAY I THINK I HAVE A NEW DISEASE...I SEE MY DOCTOR SO MUCH THAT I'M AFRAID IF ONE DAY THERE REALLY IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME, HE WON'T BELIEVE ME...LIVING LIFE SCARED EVERYDAY IS A HORRIBLE FEELING. SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS BUT I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE 'NORMAL" ANYMORE. :oops:
BSQUARED

Postby Evie7808 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:28 pm

boy do i know what both of you are going thru. I have been a hypochondriac since i was 14...im 30 now..it got alot worse when i had my daughter about 2 yrs ago..i wake thinking I have a disease and i go to bed that way...it's like this everyday....like you BSquared i wish i could be normal, as well...this disorder is destroying my marriage...my hubby says it's all in my head and i just want attention...

like you bsquared im afraid one day my dr won't believe me..i see him about once a month or so...right now i am think I have pancreatic cancer...it's been this way since i read about Patrick swayze and his fight with this cancer...also this is a new one...i feel i have a fatal bacterial infection...im always depressed and i don't know what to do...

Im just glad i have found this forum..I now know there are people out there who is going thru the same thing I am...i don't feel like such a freak now. thank you

Evie LePelley
Evie7808

Postby Lenore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Go sign up for skydiving lessons.
I promise you, you will FORGET to imagine some pain when that bay door opens and everyone starts jumping out.

Mostly you will be concentrating on not pooping in your pants, if you even bother to try-

50 seconds of free falling at 200 mph- will give you something else to think about-

and when you DO touch down on land, and your chute, should it have opened.. is spread all behind you-

you might just think its not such a bad body after all.. it functions, isnt broken to bits.. and youre still alive.
Lenore

Hypochondriasis

Postby tinita » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:29 am

I understand the anxiety and fear you all are experiencing. My husband currently has a big fear of being infected with HIV. He tested negative 63 times for over a year. The only incident he had was a kiss from a stranger girl at a bar. He visits 10-15 different doctors every month, he has crying spells, surfs the internet often and goes in HIV blogs to read all stories of people truly infected with HIV. The doctors have reassured him there is nothing wrong with him, but he won't believe them. Even an occasional zit in his face is a symptom of something catastrophic. He's been seing a psychiatrist whom diagnosed him with generalized anxiety/hypocondriac disease, most clearly, FALSE BELIEVE OF HAVING A SERIOUS ILLNESS. He has been taking Seroquel, an anti-psychotic, which helps him to sleep and withdraw from negative/fictional thoughts. He's gonna start a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy this week which will help him cope with his condition. My advice to you is to seek psychiatrict evaluation, practice YOGA to relax the mind and EXERCISE daily to relieve stress. If you all look at the symptoms of STRESS you will see that you have them all. Good luck!
tinita

Postby saboneal » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:26 pm

I have been in this situation before but fortunately I have overcome it. Based on my experiece, I have found that certain homeopathic treatments, natural foods and remedies can be very effective at helping to balance the body to alleviate anxiety and stress symptoms.
saboneal

Return to Mental Disorders Forum