Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

I don't know what I have

I don't know what I have

Postby CCS892 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:34 am

I'm not entirely sure about my condition, except that I have one. The thing is that I feel really guilty about random actions that I've done in the past or even thoughts. they are usually really pointless, but I feel like I have to tell anyone that will listen especially who's involved in the thought or action. if anyone could tell me what condition I have that would be great and maybe some sort of treatment options?
CCS892

nevermind

Postby CCS892 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:05 pm

i found out that it was OCD
CCS892

Re: nevermind

Postby xblackwidowx » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:10 pm

one of my closest friends has OCD and my px had OCD too. There are so many kinds and levels though im sure.
I think it helps once we can put a name to our conditions. Then we can learn and hopefully control/cure it.
xbwx
xblackwidowx

Re: nevermind

Postby spikegomez » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:09 am

I agree with you man!
spikegomez

Postby wind » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:48 am

why don't you try visiting a counsellor? cognitive counsellors do a great job with OCD's.

i think its much better to ask for help when you need it instead of trying alone to do something which is so difficult (OCD's are difficult if not impossible to cure by yourself!)

i'd love to know if you reached out for help and how it went!

good luck

wind
wind

your question re what do I have

Postby psammead » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:43 am

OCD - urge to confess. Treatment for this is either medication in form of an SSRI antidepressant e.g. Prozac etc, often at quite a high dose, or psychological therapy called cognitive behaviour therapy or CBT. Exposure to the feared thoughts and experiencing the anxiety i.e. sitting with it without confessing till you stop feeling anxious is the CBT treatment generally.

the more you confess the worse you will make your situation as you reinforce the erroneous idea that you need to confess every time you engage in confessing, as you get a short term relief of anxiety - however it then returns even more strongly and you need to confess again so it is a vicious cycle.

Good luck
psammead

Return to Mental Disorders Forum