Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Help

Help

Postby muse » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:37 am

Hi, I hope I kind find some support or help here. I found out today that my partner of 3 years is a pathological liar.

He has hurt so many people it's unbelievable, I have taken some timeout from the relationship because I thought he was a cheat, after speaking to our counsellor today, he told me that my partner is actually sick.

He pretended he had cancer so I wouldn't leave him, he had an online relationship with a woman, who he told a pack of lies to, including that he was going to move to Australia to be with her, that he is extremely rich etc.

I have lost count of the times he has lied to me, I was really starting to believe there was something wrong with me.

Have any of you experienced this? Can he recover, so that we can lead a normal life, or should I end the relationship.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been through anything similar.

Thanks.
muse

Postby psammead » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:27 am

if he has hurt a lot of people apart from you with his lies it seems unlikely that he will stop lying as he obviously enjoys doing it and gets some kind of perverted payoff for doing it.

No one has to lie, and he is choosing to do it for what ever reason.

I think it would be difficult to trust him in the future.

Past behaviour is said to be the best predictor of future behaviour, which suggests he is likely to continue lying
psammead

Reply to HELP

Postby Katyara » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:15 am

Muse, I am in a very similar situation. From what I have been reading, there is absolutely no hope for us and for the men we chose to love. These men have no remorse and as such are not capable of understanding that what they do / have done is morally wrong. Therefore, even in treatment they will continue to lie and pretend (that is if you get them into treatment). The name of the game is a Psychopath. I have been battling desire to warn others, but I believe it won't work, since mine is such a charmer.
What is worse in my case is that we have a child, and I have many doubts when it comes to our judicial system.
Katyara

Postby ChemGirl » Tue May 05, 2009 5:41 pm

I wouldn't stay for another minute.
It is unfortunate there is a child involved in this, but you need peace of mind and a mentally safe environment.
ChemGirl

Return to Mental Disorders Forum