Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

SchizoTypal Personality Disorder

Postby Sunshine » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:16 pm

Hello! Looks like a new message forum here....wonderful! :D

My husband just recently got diagnosed with SchizoTypal Personality Disorder. We've been married for almost 14 years, and it's been getting worse over the past few years, and now I know why (which is a relief though!). Does anyone have any experience with people who have this disorder? I'd never heard of it before, and I'm not sure what kind of a ride we're in for with this. All comments will be appreciated!

Sunshine
Sunshine

Postby Arnold » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:45 pm

If your hubby had a less typical development (under 20) or if he has any autoimmune conditions, however slightly, he could have an Autism Spectrum Condition and not a Personality Disorder at all.
Arnold

Postby su » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:57 pm

to the woman whos husban has been diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder. My 28 year old son has just been diaganosed with a mild case, however had developed either the disorder or depression first. He has been treated now for 8 years and was just diagnosed. He appeared to be a perfectly healthy, normal youth. He did have an extremely emotionally detached father who may have been schizotypal himself. We divorced, but live in same town. My son has little to no contact with his father. My son has a younger brother 1 year younger who does not seem to be afflicted. It is a difficult road, but I do realize normal people are needed in their lives. My heart goes out to you.
su

Postby Schizotypes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:08 pm

I am somebody who was diagnosed with this at a young age. I deal a lot with many of the issues addresssed here for this diagnosis but I myself do not agree with all of them. Unlike many who are diagnosed with this disorder, I constantly do things to "buck" what it says about it. I try to defy it. Sometimes I do well with it, sometimes I do not do well with it. I do understand some things a lot more clearly about it than when I was first told about it. A lot of times it comes back to beat me up and I don't reccognize it until after the fact. I have been working hard to be more sensitive to it and to just sit and shut up and watch. In my world I know I do not usually fit in to anything but to be with me you would not suspect I had a problem. I refer to normal people as "norms"
A couple of things I wish people would come to understand is that Schizotypal Personality Disorder is very similar to Asperger's syndrome but they are not the same thing. They share many common traits but are different. Schizotypal comes under the same spectrum of disorders as does Schizophrenia (though they are different) Asperger's comes under the Autistic spectrum of disorders and they are different. Each diagnosis has it's own specific characteristics of what makes it different.
The next thing is that people with Schizotypal would like to be treated as a person instead of a freak. Don't go around criticizing the things we do, just accept it and move on. It's best to not discuss it infront of us because for many of us it's a sore spot. Try treating us like humans and not mutants. (It may be true we may be lacking in some genetics) But don't go around talking about labeling us, especially not infront of us. It's not helpful.
I was diagnosed in 1987. this disorder is said to never go away, but it can be dealt with. Some people just go to counseling, some people are able to get medicines ans some like myself who can't afford medicine or counseling just learn to deal with it on our own by ourselves. Medicine isn't always the answer. The best thing I can say is be supportive and loving. Be interested even if you are not really and get educated on it. there are a lot of resources available on the internet now that can give you a better look at the condition than what were available in 1987.
I'm here. I have Schizotypal personality disorder. Run things by me and I'll tell you my take on it. See if my take doesn't match or come close to your schizotypal friend's take is on it.
Schizotypes

Postby zolleyday » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:39 pm

l have heard this is a disorder that has no clear cut place in a psychiatric disorder list, so they sort of just make it as a diagnosis when they cannot pinpoint exactly what is wrong other than to say the patient is a bit off.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this or know a bit more about this disorder?

Thank you, Chelle
zolleyday

Return to Mental Disorders Forum