Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Conversion Disorder

Conversion Disorder

Postby Maryanne » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:27 am

I'm 33, legally blind since birth but now am unable to walk and have lost much function on left side (after severe migraine). Have had depression and panic disorder since childhood, but physical symptoms (paralysis, numbness, pain, etc.) developed over past six-seven years. Tests non-conclusive.
None of several minor medical conditions totally explain situation, so I've been diagnosed (about 3 years ago) with Conversion Disorder. Very little treatment + long waiting lists in our area. Treatment attempted, but too traumatic as I'm living alone. Don't know what to do or who to turn to. I'm on disability assistance and have no further resources to seek treatment options. Difficulty defining which symptoms are Conversion & which are due to: Migraines (possibly hemic plegic), IBS, Optic nerve atrophy (Charles Bonet Syndrome), Fibromyalgia, Enviro. sensitivities.
My symptoms include: pain, paralysis, loss of balance, numbness (esp. L-side), spasms, weakness, non-epyleptic seizures, poor circ., tremmors and sleep problems. On meds for anxiety, depression, Bata-blocker, IBS and b.line anemia. Traumatic childhood events, but years of psychotherapy (cognitive-behavioural, attempts at hypnosis, mood-management) from age 12 (1982) to 2008 haven't helped, symptoms continue to worsen. Slight abnormalities on MRI (brain) not considered significant by neurologist, although waiting for a 2nd MRI (1st 2004).
Does this sound right? Ideas anyone - please?
Thanks for reading my post. :?: :cry: :cry:
Maryanne

Re: Conversion Disorder

Postby lozo777 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:48 pm

hello. i am not sure if you are still hanging around but i have also recently been diagnosed with conversion. i have been to over 100 doctors over a 15 year period. probably more like 150 doctors searching for answers to a crazy set of symptoms that i deal with. if your still bouncing around i will chat with youy soon.

[quote="Maryanne"]I'm 33, legally blind since birth but now am unable to walk and have lost much function on left side (after severe migraine). Have had depression and panic disorder since childhood, but physical symptoms (paralysis, numbness, pain, etc.) developed over past six-seven years. Tests non-conclusive.
None of several minor medical conditions totally explain situation, so I've been diagnosed (about 3 years ago) with Conversion Disorder. Very little treatment + long waiting lists in our area. Treatment attempted, but too traumatic as I'm living alone. Don't know what to do or who to turn to. I'm on disability assistance and have no further resources to seek treatment options. Difficulty defining which symptoms are Conversion & which are due to: Migraines (possibly hemic plegic), IBS, Optic nerve atrophy (Charles Bonet Syndrome), Fibromyalgia, Enviro. sensitivities.
My symptoms include: pain, paralysis, loss of balance, numbness (esp. L-side), spasms, weakness, non-epyleptic seizures, poor circ., tremmors and sleep problems. On meds for anxiety, depression, Bata-blocker, IBS and b.line anemia. Traumatic childhood events, but years of psychotherapy (cognitive-behavioural, attempts at hypnosis, mood-management) from age 12 (1982) to 2008 haven't helped, symptoms continue to worsen. Slight abnormalities on MRI (brain) not considered significant by neurologist, although waiting for a 2nd MRI (1st 2004).
Does this sound right? Ideas anyone - please?
Thanks for reading my post. :?: :cry: :cry:[/quote] :D
lozo777

Return to Mental Disorders Forum