Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Audio and Visual Hallucinations

Audio and Visual Hallucinations

Postby fitzy1805 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:12 am

I am a healthy male of 28 years old. All my life has been spent in careers of emotional support for differing client groups. Last year i had a mental health crisis and have been unable to work since. I have attended numerous courses which are attempting to re-integrate me into society. So far however these have been unsuccessful. I have become increasingly agoraphobic, only leaving the house for local trips with one or two people including my support worker with me. My mood fluctuations have increased with more downturns than up. My temper has begun to flare up again and I am increasingly irritated with the life I have. Suicide has also been a prevalent thought of mine over the past few months. My psychiatrist has perscribed Setraline 200mg which I have been on for nearly 9 months now. The official diagnosis is personality disorder with psychotic symptoms. Now, however, my mental stability is decreasing, my lewcid moments few and far between. I have been constantly having audio and visual hallucinations and suffering very poignant memory loss. I also have trouble sleeping as for nearly three years constantly I have been suffering nightmares and disturbing dreams, both waking and sleeping. I am frightened. I am in a loving relationship and have a fantastic home life. I could really want for nothing except to be able to go back to work and to be able to leave the flat in which I live. I was just wondering if anybody out there can empathise and maybe suggest anyway at all to combat this. I feel as if, if this is my life then I want it to end. Thank you!
fitzy1805

Hello

Postby drbehavior » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi Fitzy,

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling as badly as you are.
I don't know when the last time you saw your doctor, but, if it was recently
I'd certainly suggest that you make an appointment to see him/her as soon
as possible. Perhaps, the medication that you're taking or the dosage you're
being prescribed isn't sufficient to relieve you of your symptoms. Often more
than one medication is required when depression and anxiety are accompanied by other frightening symptoms.
I'm sure that feeling miserable as you do it's easy to switch to even more
negative thoughts such as suicide; however, you also say that you have a
wonderful family and that's a lot. I know so many ill people who are totally
without love and without any emotional and/or physical support of any kind.
I'd say that you're indeed one of the more fortunate people when you can say you have love and feel the support of those around you.
You're a very young man with a wonderful future in front of you once you're stabilized on the proper meds. There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to return to regain your self-confidence and return to work once you've seen you doctor (or another doc who you feel totally
comfortable with) and your meds are regulated.
I hope that you dispel the negative thoughts of harming yourself. Anyone
who's as articulate as you are and has been responsible for making a positive contribution to the lives of others has to think very positively about themselves.
You take good care of yourself. Be good to yourself.
drbehavior

Have you recieved a 2nd opinion?

Postby sandyr » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi,

My name is Sandy, and I am far from a physician, however, it sounds as if you may be presenting with symptoms of schizophrenia, if so you need different medication, perhaps a 2nd opinion would be called for to get you back into the world. I wish you the best of luck.
sandyr

Return to Mental Disorders Forum