Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

HUGE performance-verbal intelligence gap: help!

HUGE performance-verbal intelligence gap: help!

Postby enigmanumbertwo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:15 pm

When I did the WAIS III a few years ago, I was told I was a few points short of having a legal disability because my verbal and performance scores are so far apart. Nothing came of it (except that I "officially" don't have ADD). Here's the kicker: I'm highly intelligent - but my mind is so far ahead of itself (literally), that I can't hold a job. I don't even know what my "disorder" is called, let alone where to get help (i.e. what kind of work I'm suited for).
enigmanumbertwo

Postby kallisti » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 am

Was this a self assessment or was it administered by a professional? If it was a self assessment, check out therapists who can repeat a formal one and go from there. If it was done by a therapist or counselor, go back to them and ask for further evaluation. A trained vocational counselor can also provide career assessment tests to help you learn about your interests and aptitudes and help you make choices about a career in which you could be successful.
kallisti

Postby enigmanumbertwo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Hello kallisti,

Thanks for the reply. It was part of an 8-hour professional assessment for ADD. 3 professionals were involved. The process started because I wanted to know why couldn't hold a job. The 3rd guy oversaw the testing and wrote a report, nothing more. The 2nd guy was an employment officer: he said I need someone with roughly the same intelligence as me to make any further progress and that although he is highly intelligent, I'm too far above him. The 1st guy said that all I needed to do was get a job and my problems would go away.

To sum up:
I went to the 1st guy bcz I can't hold a job - and no one seems to know why. He concluded, "Get a job and all will be well."
He sent me to the 2nd guy who said, "I'd love to help you, but I don't have the tools."
*He* sent me to the 3rd guy who took the money and ran.
That sure felt like 3 for 3. I walked away.

I did (in group settings) career search training before - and extensive assessment after - this 3-month episode. I also went through the entire national occupation directory (literally) during the "episode". I've read "What Color Is Your Parachute" and "Driven to Distraction" cover to cover. I've taken a number of interest/aptitude assessments; self-administered, "facilitated", and professionally administered.

A quick look at my career trail will show that I'm neither particularly picky or lazy, but nothing seems to interest me enough to, well, interest me enough to keep my mind engaged.

My posting here reflects the fact that I'm still digging, although I take breaks from time to time. I just wish I could find *where* to dig.
- Enigma #2
enigmanumbertwo

Return to Mental Disorders Forum