Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Pain Disorder

Pain Disorder

Postby dewriter » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:41 am

Has anyone had success treating stomach pain that accompanies depression and anxiety? My husband is 52 and has been suffering on and off with various pains since his 20's. His doctor has kept him on the same antidepressant (Ludiomil) for years. The only thing that helps the pain is Ativan. We realize that it can be addictive. Formerly, his pains were headaches, chest pains, and dizziness, but during the past year the stomach is the area. He originally had stomach pain in his 20's and 30's. It seemed to go away for many years. He understands it is all psychological. He was raised in an alcoholic home and took on a responsible role at an early age. He continues to be overly driven and a worrier. He is not happy with his work and feels stuck. His father died last year and he has many demands on him now, with a disabled uncle (added to our disabled son) and an elderly mother. He seems more depressed with low energy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
dewriter

Postby transient » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 am

There's a new antidepressant called Cymbalta , it is not only a serotonin reuptake inhibitor but it is also a norepinephrine inhibitor as well which means it was made to target both depression and pain. In my studies it also has the least side affects as compared to other antidepressants. It may very well help, speak to your doctor and see what he says about it. It changed my life.
transient

Return to Mental Disorders Forum