Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Histrionic Personality Disorder example Truman Capote

Histrionic Personality Disorder example Truman Capote

Postby jackieyes » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:49 am

I would like to communicate with someone who eithor has this or knows someone like this. I find it facinating.
jackieyes

Postby edley » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:40 am

Greetings,

I was seriously involved with a deep commitment to a girlfriend that would be in a similar category of borderline personality disorder or narcissitic personality disorder if that helps any.

Take care, Ed
edley

Histrionic Personality Disorder

Postby jamfields » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:00 pm

Hi. I ended a 20-plus-year friendship with a complete HPD. I didn't realize that's what she had until I started researching her symptoms and tried to figure out why it was so hard to pinpoint just what it is that was wrong with her.

I would have probably continued the friendship, for her sake, for the rest of my life, but thank God--she came on to my husband in front of me AND when she thought I wasn't looking--on our last evening together. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

She sexualized relationships that were clearly not sexual, and dressed (and from what I hear continues to dress) like Britney Spears (and she's 42).

It's a fascinating illness--these people are TRULY unable (or unwilling) to look at their unconscious motivations, but their motivations are obvious to any third grader---their quest to be the sexiest person in the room is blatantly obvious. And pathetic.
jamfields

Postby edley » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:55 pm

When you look up info on personality disorder also take a look at borderline personality disorder, histronic personality disorder and narcissitc personality disorder as well. There are very close and overlapping parts of each.

It is much easier to see such things if you not involved with the person! That comes from personal experience. It is a continual learning experience in dealing with these people.

Wish you the best, Ed
edley

Postby Albert » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:49 am

I find description of sympthoms on this site very adherent to reality, and agree with Ed that all disturbs belonging to the class of mood disorders overlap: borderline, hystrionic, narcisism, paranoia, manic-depression. If you've been deeply involved with a borderline paranoid, possibly suicidal, is something you will never forget. Don't know what's truly wrong with these people, but something much beyond their control. They must have a huge guilty feeling somewhere, that forces them to become megalomaniac about themselves and otherwise look for their own distruction. They always have to twist things around in order to appear to themselves and others as the victims of something. If you come accross them, they'll show you this sweet and weak side of theirs to convince you that they're the victims... until they're forced by circumstances to show you their true nature, which can be as icy and distructive as it gets. You may suddenly become the new monster and need to be eliminated, their identity as victims is reinforced and the circle can start again. My advice is simply stay away from these people because their nature can be very distructive, there's nothing you can do for them except for harming yourself which may give them some temporary relief. Whoever has had the experience knows what I'm talking about. I have the impression that in many cases it might go back to having had a depressed mum unable to give them any affection since early days, something like that. They develop very low self-esteem and become unstable, so have to look for relief all the time, through praise and attention from the outside, which makes them hystrionic and over-seductive. Not sure if there can be a true definitive theraphy, but I think they could find an equilibrium if they met somebody who's ready to unidirectionally feed them what they need all the time and at the same time tolerate their excesses.
Only meant to share an opinion from own personal experience, not expert or professional, so pls take it as such.
Albert

Postby edley » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:23 am

Albert is correct from what I have seen! Good summary. When you first meet them, they can easily idealize you and you are the solution to the world's problems, at least from their perspective.

Albert may well be correct in if they find someone that continually feeds them and tolerates their self destructive behavior that things are stable, in realitive terms.

The mind games they play can wear you out. They will typically be manipulative, and can ever so subtly embellish things, to get what they want from their perspective.

In talking with a close friend that is a licensed counselor, he says that most likely there was some type of abuse, or mental trauma, most likely happening by age five. So, I pass that on for what it is worth.

Wish you the best and let us know what you find out.

Take care, Ed
edley

histrionic personality disorder

Postby carla » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:16 pm

I have been reading about personality disorders for a long time trying to figure out what is wrong with my entire family, including me unfortunately,
and I found you guys, thanks!
I have known for a while that I am histrionic. At the time it was very hard to admit and I was very worried and ashamed, I been trying very hard to control my anxiety and outbursts of temper, as well as many other terrible caracteristics that you all know...
My boyfriend is HPD also, and even though it has been only five months, it feels like eternity in jail; sooo good and other times sooo bad! , You already know how charming and bubblely we can be, but if we do not get it our way hell will break lose.
I thought because his problem is my problem, that it would be that much easier for us to be together and work on it as a team. Instead, I feel nothing but rejection towards his behavior.
Is there any posibility for any type of relashionship between two histrionics?
carla

HPD

Postby sadmom » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm

:cry:
My daughter told me today that i am showing 7 symptoms of HPD. This was devastating to hear. I am not trying to be in denial over this...even though there are several symptoms that point to that direction, i find it very difficult to accept. Particularly because I think only a doctor can diagnose such condition. I don't have an excuse for the way I have behaved with my kids in the past. I should have kept my cool regardless of what they said because I am the parent. I guess I fell in a comfort zone where I thought I had the right to say what came to mind and didn't stop to think about the concequences of my words. The fact that I was raised under those circumstances and that I have been under so much presure most of my life does not give me the right to say things without thinking. At this moment i wish i can hide where nobody could find me. God only knows how i am feeling right now. I feel so ashamed and guilty..can patients with this condition be inadvertently selective? I mean how can a person be so normal to some and vicious to others? (I am sorry but I don't think there is another word to describe these symptoms my daughter is pointing out) and this is what hurts the most. To think that my kids see me like that. Please help me understand if I have this. How can I change this? I am already getting therapy for depression but don't think is helping
sadmom

Return to Mental Disorders Forum