Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Depression or Delusional Disorder

Depression or Delusional Disorder

Postby Chatterbox » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Can anybody shed some light on this concern I have about a dear friend. She is in her early fifties, lives alone and works 7 days a week. Since Christmas she is convinced that her neighbor is gaining access to her home. She has lived there for 7 years and had a good relationship with them. Her Aunt died due to dementia or alkzimhers, during the Christmas holiday and this is when the problems started. She had the locks changed twice in 2 weeks during that time. She believes that the male neighbour is getting in and moving or taking her possessions when she is at work and when she is asleep. She has spent a fortune on security devices e.g. Cameras, Alarm system and bug detectors as she thinks he is bugging her property. She has called the police and informed them a few times and they have told her that no one can access her property. A work colleague and her builder husband went round to check her property and also told her that her home was secure. She then convinced herself that he was coming in through the Walls or floor which is concrete. Her sister stayed with her for a week and she was saying he was getting in. Her sister has not spoken to her for a few months now as she cannot deal with it all. She continues to operate normally at work sometimes breaking down in tears when explaining to friends what is happening to her. She now thinks he is following her to work (she travels over an hour on the train there and back. We try to help by listening to her and convince her that he wouldn't be able to get on to her home or follow her to work (asking why would he spend all that money on train fare and what does he do all day while she is working) she says he waits outside. Another friend has sorted out other accommodation over the summer to see if this will make any difference. She is now looking at selling her home. I suggested that she should see her doctor and she dismissed this. She believes more in homeopathy. Can anybody advise me what to do as I am so worried about her.[/b]
Chatterbox

Return to Mental Disorders Forum