Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Intracible Hiccups

Intracible Hiccups

Postby rhendx » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:24 pm

I have 13 y/o duaghter who hiccups constantly while awake. I have a nuerologist and gastroenterologist appts in the near future and was looking for some background on what I may expect from someone who may have had a similar situation. I've been told they are probably tics.
rhendx

Treatment of Hiccups

Postby seriusjoe987 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:31 am

Everyone has a pet remedy for hiccups. A few tactics do make sense and may be based on physiology as well as folklore. One technique is to increase carbon dioxide levels in the blood, which may decrease the sensitivity of the vagus nerve in the brain. That nerve, one of the longest in the body, sends branches to many muscle groups, including those in the diaphragm. One can boost carbon dioxide levels by holding one's breath, by rebreathing the air exhaled into a paper bag for a few minutes, or by slowly sipping a glass of water without pausing to take a breath.

Other tactics that may be of some use include:

placing a teaspoon of dry granulated sugar on the back of the tongue and then swallowing it

filling a glass with ice cubes and water, and then drinking it slowly (the rapid change of temperature in the esophagus may shut down the hiccup response)

pulling the tongue with your fingers

stimulating the back of the throat or roof of the mouth with the index finger

while sitting, leaning forward and compressing the chest and diaphragm against the knees
seriusjoe987

Return to Mental Disorders Forum