Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Boyfriend with personality disorder

Boyfriend with personality disorder

Postby kmw7 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:12 am

Hi everyone I'm a bit worried about my boyfriend and our relationship. My boyfriend has a personality disorder only he has not been given a name for it. He goes to group couselling for it once a week though.

My concern is we've only been back together a month, we were a couple before and even have a daughter. The first couple of weeks everything was great. He was really sweet and we went out and did things together. Now he is really distant with me has basically stopped texting me and doesnt seem to want to do anything with me. He tells me he doesnt talk to me because he has not been feeling himself which is his pd and thats how he deals with it. Its been 2 weeks now though and im worried hes actually going off me and will split up with me again soon. Sometimes he'll do something small that will make me think he does still love me but then he'll act like he doesnt like me again. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with a loved one or if you have a pd if you are like him?

Basically am i worrying over nothing and is this all part of having a pd? And also how long do these mood swings usually last?
kmw7

Postby Belinda1969 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:41 pm

I would find out what his diagnosis is.

Very important.
Belinda1969

Postby Schizotypes » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:20 am

first off, take a deep breath. You'd need to understand that this could very well be a part of his disorder. Don't be mad at him for it don't be frustrated. I know you are frustrated because you can't get a good read on him. If he does something, anything at all he still interested in you. it's important to know space is a good thing in this case. Don't rush things, don't smother him because it will annoy him. Don't send him texts that just keep coming and coming and coming and especially not too flirty ones. I'm speaking this right now because I'm going through it and have been through it myself. Show him interest not by throwing yourself at him. Be direct and don't go walking down the aisle or even use talk like that because you are so not there yet. He might be acting like he does not like you but he does just need a little space. Give him that space but don't ignore him. He most likely still does care, just relax and take things slow, get to know him a little more and don't always be throwing yourself at him, don't be rough with him nice slow calm and interested.
If it is a new relationship, you can only go slow. Don't ignore him and be understanding and patient. You don't have to have a romantic interlude everytime you get together (sex) try to understand him on a more deeper level than that.
Schizotypes

Postby arjline06 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:34 pm

That was really confusing, I think, he has something in his mind that he can't tell you, such as a problem. The best thing I can suggest is, to talk to him with sincerity to know what he really feels. Bring him to a friend or someone who can help you in your situation personally.
arjline06

Return to Mental Disorders Forum