Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

anyone here on citalopram?

anyone here on citalopram?

Postby hopeless » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:02 am

just thought itd be good to find someone to talk to who is going through the same as me....
hopeless

citalopram

Postby rnbren16 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi, I am on Citalopram 40mg daily for my depression. It seems to work as good as any other antidepressant I have tried. Before that I was on Cymbalta, also tried effexor, and wellbutrin. The Citalopram is so much cheaper, and I notice no difference compared to the more expensive ones. For me any med is not the cure all that I wish it could be. Just sort of takes the edge off. I have tried to go off several times over the past 5 years, and I get super irritable and hatefull. It sucks to have to continue to take it. I think once you have been on these type of meds for several years, you have permantly altered your brain chemicals, and can then never go off. I also go to to a weekly therapy group, and that helps. I am a recovering alcoholic/addict, so throw that into the mix too. Anyway, good luck for what it is worth. Never stop these types of meds suddenly, you have to taper off slowly. If I miss a dose or two, I get these weird electrical impuse sensations in my brain that are most weird, but they stop when I take my dose. Good luck, and feel free to write back!
rnbren16

I am taking citolopram (offbrand for celexa)

Postby anniedean » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:17 am

Are you combining your medication treatment with therapy? Medication helps your symptoms, but the therapy helps the cause. If you participate in some form of therapy or counseling, you may be able to get beter and may be able to get off te medication in the future. Therapy will help you learn how to cope with life problems, and talk about your feelings and problems with a proffessional that is not someone close who you may be afraid to talk to about your problems. I would like to add that when I miss a dose, I also experience weird electrical impulses to my brain, I have descried them to others as it is like my mind is in a strobe light. Never make any decisions to stop taking your medication without talking to your doctor first. I wish you luck:) It is wonderful that you have taken a step in getting better.
anniedean

Postby MonSacreAme » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:28 am

Today was my first day of trying Celexa. My doctor started me on the lowest dosage possible at 10mg 1x a day. And so far, no side effects at all.

For the past week or so I've been having that "not wanting to live and yet not wanting to die" feeling A LOT. And once I found myself feeling that the only resolution was suicide, I consulted my doctor. I'm physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted from severe depression - I no longer want to deal with it.

I can honestly say that I feel normal, content. I haven't felt this way(esp. at night) in a few weeks. It feels absolutely amazing.

I'm keeping track of any(& all side effects) both positive and negative. And will certainly post anything that I experience.

I sincerely hope that it's helping you or, at the very least, making your depression slightly better. Any progression is GOOD progression. And above all, i'm here for you if you need anything. :)

Hope you're feeling better!
hugs
MonSacreAme

Return to Mental Disorders Forum