Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Help - my son has night terrors

Help - my son has night terrors

Postby muertai » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Is it normal for my son age 5 to have night terrors he just shakes ans cries till he wakes up then he goes back to sleep and remembers nothing about what happened.
How can i stop this? It happens a couple of times a month
muertai

Postby hopeless » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:56 am

hello! my daughter has been getting night terrors on and off since she was less than a year old. shes now 2.5. theres very little research done into the problem, our gp and health visitor havent been v helpful nor sympathetic, they dont seem theres much reason for concern. but it is worrying and scary and confusing at times ...and of course means sleepless nights.sorry i cant be of much help...but im here if you d like to talk about it.
hopeless

Postby CarlaMarkel » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm hoping it's nothing either. My daughter is going through the same thing. It's not nice to see and again my gp doesn't have a clue what to do about it.
CarlaMarkel

Postby gaias1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:32 pm

My daughter used to get them. They started when she was about 2.5 years old. They were really freaky! And they happened every night, but she never remembered them. They got worse for a few years. Her doctor said that it's not that big of a deal. The brain just doesnt transition between sleep states as fluidly as a normal sleeper. She used to get them after being alseep for about 2 hours. There was NOTHING I could do to staop the screaming. It was like she was looking right through me.

So over the years (she is now 10), it just turned into sleepwalking. And all the pain I went through during these scary night terrors was well worth it! She is hilarious! She gets up and sleepwalks and will come downstairs dressed up in her winter coat, boots, mittens and scarf. Or she will come and tell us jokes, sing songs or just come downstairs to ask for some paper and a piece of tape. I do believe she is growing out of it now that she is almost 11. She is at the age where she could sleep all day if I let her. Dont worry. It will pass. :)
gaias1

Return to Mental Disorders Forum