Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

depression

depression

Postby jodie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:04 am

i am sick of trying to find a cause for why it takes me so long to recover from my episodes...takes me approx 3 months
jodie

depression

Postby journey1 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:52 pm

First thought that comes to mind, is are you taking meds or seeing a therapist? Most antidepressants take 3 to 8 weeks to fully kick in. Therapy can take a while also. If you're not doing the above, why not? Depression stinks and can be dangerous. When you're not depressed is your life "normal" or is another mood pervasive? Depression can run in cycles. Mine switches with hypomania on a irregular schedule. But, I'm learning what's to come by tuning in to my body and mind. Now, if I could only straighten out the peaks and valleys I'd be good. :wink: Good Luck and find someone to help you that's a professional.
journey1

depression

Postby jodie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:33 pm

yes i see a psychiatrist....and have seen numerous psychologists...but each time i have an episode of depression it puts me down for 3 months...i continue to take my meds as usual...i do yoga and walk regularly..i work as a midwife and cant afford to not be there and giving my all to my patients...i am frustrated...and come close to quitting my job and leaving the family when i am not well...any suggestions of how to stop the down hill runs???
jodie

MY OVERLY DEPRESSED MOM - HELP!

Postby jackson5 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:46 am

[color=darkblue][/color][i]

I am not sure where to begin on here and feel Im desperate at this point. The guilt I am feeling right now even talking about my mom is eating me alive. :roll:

It all started Nov 8th 2005 after we watched my 23 year old baby sister pass in our arms of a terminal cancer. Long story short the first year was horrible and my brother and I were by her side 24/7. Well as the years go by and we grow in different directions my mom just gets more sad by the day. Drinks every night to sleep along w/her anti-anxiety meds. She actually calls me her whoobie because she needs me for almost everything..
She has become so negative and gloomy thats its so hard to want to be around her. Doesnt want counceling, i have called her doctors already and nothing....She gets offended at absolutely everything. If she isn't envited to an event, or a dinner she gets angry. If my brother and I want to hang out just us too she gets offended. Im torn in so many directions.

I recently moved out because im getting married..so now she is really alone. I worry for her but she literally sleeps all weekend..doesnt move barely ever...does not have a social life of her own at all...so depends on my brother and I for her entertainment.

Well I can go on and on..

:cry:

so sad... help!! [/i]
jackson5

depression

Postby journey1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:45 pm

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. I don't know how to stop my depression either, just know when it's coming. I've been told that it can take years to find the right med or cocktail of meds. I know this doesn't help. But,you are not alone in you're frustration.

I've already lost my family and am considered unemployable, except for very part time work, with no stress involved.

Have you considered keeping a journal of things to try and learn what precipitates you're depressive episodes? Maybe if you figure out what causes these episodes you can head them off.

Here we have the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). It has branches in every state and many cities with in the states. They have classes about you and your illness, classes for your family and groups for both that are peer led. I go and am learning about MDD & BPD and have a group of people that care about me and offer help when I need it. Is there something similar in Australia?

Right now I'm hypomanic so I'm full of advice. Whether(sp) or not it's any good, I don't know. When I fall back down I won't be on the website because I'll be sitting in my chair trying not to commit suicide.

Hope you never get to that point. Keep trying and good luck.
journey1

hmm..

Postby Kyle » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:58 am

i have suffered deppression before its not a good thing but everyone gets it diffrently but i dont know if this may help.

Haveing a boy/girlfriend seemed to help me cause they were there and i was able to talk to them about anything that was on my mind and if they were feeling down i tried as best as i could to make them happy wich in turn made me feel a little better.

also haveing a Friend There to talk to helped a real lot i never needed to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist. i study psycology as a student and i know all they do is mess with your head. but dont take my advice im still learning as well. but having someone there to talk to also made a big diffrence.. as for your episodes... try having a warm bath with some essence or rock salts to kind of calm you down sort of thing. like have an long 1 hr bath and not think about anything. i hope this helps.
sorry for the spelling errors.. and im 16 so if this helps dont say you need to see a fully qualified doctor to help you out :D :)
Kyle

Postby Khahani987 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:53 pm

I've already lost my family and am considered unemployable, except for very part time work, with no stress involved.

Have you considered keeping a journal of things to try and learn what precipitates you're depressive episodes? Maybe if you figure out what causes these episodes you can head them off.

Here we have the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). It has branches in every state and many cities with in the states. They have classes about you and your illness, classes for your family and groups for both that are peer led. I go and am learning about MDD & BPD and have a group of people that care about me and offer help when I need it. Is there something similar in Australia?
Khahani987

Postby butterfly54 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:09 am

I've suffered from major recurrent depression off and on for 25+ years (my latest episode lasted about a year). I've been hospitalized, had ECT treatments, counseling, and tried countless combinations of medication cocktails without noticeable relief. My doctor recently added 2.5mg of Abilify to my current meds (Lamictal and Wellbutrin SR), and for the first time in my life I'm a changed person. While I realize everyone's chemistry is different and we all react differently to medication, I wanted to put this information out there in hopes of helping just one other person.

I started working on crafts for the first time in years, am able to clean my house, and have begun socializing effortlessly (we all know how difficult it is to be around others when we're depressed). This wasn't just a subtle change for me, and it was quite obvious that the Abilify sparked my recovery (my mood turned around within the first 2 weeks of starting it). I had been on Abilify in the past (on its own), but didn't get the same results. I doubt it's the specific combination of meds I'm taking; I personally think the Abilify was a great adjunct to my latest regimen, and it might just be the 'spark' someone needs to start enjoying their life again.
butterfly54

re:

Postby giantmonster » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 am

Thanks for the information, as im going through this it is very useful for me..
giantmonster

Postby star2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 am

Seeing a counsellor rather than a pyschiatrist may help (cheaper, you can afford more visits).
Also, i think a pyschiatrist is to treat people who are mentally ill... sometimes depression isn't mental illness but sadness and lots of other feelings and perceptions.
The person who stated it good to have a friend, yes, but sometimes friends tire of hearing how you are feeling, in the past there were ministers, old people etc around to listen, not so much nowadays. Guess thats why counsellors can help.
There seems to be almost an aversion in our society to feeling sad, bad, let down, hopeless... its all gotta be medicated. Obviously doesn't work. How can you medicate your soul?
If you could take an xray for depression it may show "he has 6lbs of grief and sadness in there".
Try different styles of counselling... gestalt may work on some people and other methods on others, google and find out what you think may work for YOU... who ever YOU are.
Its worth thinking about anyway. I'm not against medication but feel it is better as a short term crutch to get you over the worst, then you have to work on the why's you are feeling bad and the how's to prevent it getting bad again.
star2010

Return to Mental Disorders Forum