Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Hospitalized against her will, what to do?

Hospitalized against her will, what to do?

Postby berdryn » Fri May 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Hello,

This is likely going to be a bizarre story but I am at a loss at how to help her. I met this girl who I have fallen in love with. She's great in every way but there are some problems. She is currently Married but seperated. Her husband joined the military with out telling her and because of this, they seperated in January of this year. They have been together for about 2 years but she has tried getting a divorce before meeting me. The husband is refused to sign the papers.

She has a history of mental illness, mainly in the form of blacking out for periods of time. I do not know all the details of the illness. After the husband went to bootcamp, she met me about 3 months after being seperated. She is currently living with a friend and because of her condition, she is unable to hold down a job. She gets money from her husband, barely enough to live, about 700 a month. I was told that the reason he won't sign the papers is due to the extra 1200 a month he gets from the military for being married. He gets 2400 monthy, giving her only 700.

He is returning in july only to be stationed in germany. Her family is against her staying where she is and divorcing him, using her medical history against her saying that if she doesn't go to Germany with him, they will all have her hospitalized against her will.

Now, as an outside party to all this, is there anything I can do to help? This can't really happen can it? Any advice, material, resources or anything anyone can link me to or post here would be helpful. I don't want to lose her and she has told me she doesn't want to go.. but will have to because of the situation. Please help us!
berdryn

Hmm

Postby Kathyred » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:12 am

Be careful. I've never heard of a mental health illness where you black out for periods of time but well I'm just a student mental health nurse so there may well be.
You only have her side of the story. I don't know what country you are from but if she is in the UK then they will only section her if she is unwell (the NHS is a precious resource you know). If you are from the USA, well I'm not sure what goes on there in regards to private health care but I imagine hospitals will only take her if she is actually unwell but again I'm not sure. You should be cautious though for your own sake.
Kathyred

Postby Lenore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:06 pm

It's called a "fugue", the blackouts.

If I were you, I would get away from her as far, and as fast- as I could make my legs carry me.

Her family can not lock her up against her will. They can call the police and have them pick her up- by telling them she's a danger to herself or others- but then she goes in for observation. It's like.. 24 hours or so.

if she's stable, she is released. They do not have funny farms here in the US like they used to.

Now if SHE is telling you all this hoorah.. Id be suspicious. VERY suspicious. She sounds very manipulative and Ive certainly heard sad stories from guy friends who felt the need to rescue psychopaths and histrionics only to find themselves just another victim.
Lenore

Return to Mental Disorders Forum