Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

religion and psychology

religion and psychology

Postby Bruce G » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:48 pm

I am wondering if anyone can give their view point on the relation faith has to your "illness", if we may call it that... I have been in and out of therapy (mostly in) for close to 40 years, and it always blows my mind that Freud said that religion was "a system of wishful illusions." I have searched long and hard for shrinks who believe in God or some sort of transcendent reality and the search has not always been successful, yet increasingly I am finding that in the psychiatric profession, minds are opening up as to the possibilities for mindfulness meditation, yoga practice and spiritual aids of all sorts that may help treat mental disorders. Of course, many mental patients are not ready for anything deep in the religion and spiritual field, but when you get down to it, everyone has some sort of faith; at least that's been my experience. Also, I am curious to know if there are any people with mental disorders who have an interest in the arts; writing and the creative arts?
Bruce G

Postby britesmile » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:12 am

freud was also on cocaine and spoke in regards to his current society in which modern day society clearly differs.

This was also one mans opinion.

I am a very creative person and i have beliefs based on literal experiences, my disorder was anxiety and i say was as i am getting much better now.

As with anything and any 'culture' shall we say, personal preferences will differ, it means no more an no less than what is inferred from that statement.
britesmile

Postby Warrigal » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:45 am

Ok,
for whats its worth, - a spirital teacher once told me that people get disease, because they are Not at Ease with themselves.

I suffered mildly from anxiety, I turned to a Earth based Philosophy and decided that I was part of everything, and the interconnectedness of everything.

Meditation and creating your life, not having others create your life.

My favouriste quote - 'What THEY think of me is none of my business'.

This might sound a bit wacky but its works for me, all the best with it, whatever you do.
Warrigal

Postby mormon general » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:26 pm

I think religon gives u a reason to get help. unfortuneatly it might increase depression. But it might help a person overcome something knowing that life is just a small journey. sry if this doesn't agree with u people. I'm a member of the Church of Juseus Christ Of Latter Day Saints or more commanly nicknamed Mormons.
mormon general

Postby Susan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:18 pm

As to the creativity, arts, etc part of the post, Everyone should read Kaye Jamison's "Touched by Fire" which associates mind disorders...illnesses...with creativity. It is widely known that about 60-70% of all artists, writers, actors, muscians, etc have or do suffer from depression or some other pshyc. illness. Great read, validating. As a bonus, she has BiPolar Disorder.
As to religion...I have an illness, not a curse. For comfort outside of my faith, yoga and any positive-thought teachings help.
Susan

Postby griggs 1947 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:05 am

[b] :D While not following scientific criteria otherwise, he was right about religion being the universal neurosis! With the late Dr. Albert Ellis , I think that religion is "mustabatory,' a mere want,not a real need.We can find meaning for our lives in whatever we desire to do, find human love and this one life sufficient. We do not need divine purpose and love and a future state! Fr.Leo Booth has a book on when religion does indeed become harmful to the individual.
Religion is a replaceable placebo. Individuals find themselves in other movements also!We all can change due to social involvement.
For most people, religion is ok. :wink: [/b]
griggs 1947

religion and psychology

Postby Lorraine » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:27 am

Yes, I am a very creative person (write, act, direct, design, etc. etc.) struggled with depression most of my life. (even before they had a label for it - everyone thought I just needed to smile more)

Many scientific people are not big on conventional religion - they've seen and studied too much to believe the "invisible man in the sky" form of belief. This has been my feeling for some time. I also turned to the earth-based belief systems, yoga, meditation, mindfulness, Reiki, etc. Everything helps. It's what you put into it. Calming your anxious mind can only be of help. Learning to abide in the moment helps. Healing through alternative modalities helps.

I'm worried that I will lose some of my creativity and the ability to access deep, dark emotions for my work. Also worried that my developing sensitivity in Reiki will be blunted. (I've also been good at reading people, picking up vibes, listening to that inner voice) But I'm in such pain and depths of depression that I fear more for my life right now. So I'm working with my doctors to find a medication, or combination of medications, that will pull me out of the well - again.

The late, great actor, Rod Steiger, suffered from crippling depression for much of his life. It caused him to go for long periods of time without being able to work. He credited medication and therapy with saving his life. Another great actor, Patty Duke, has to cycle off her meds when she needs to work on a film. She does this under close medical supervision, as she is bipolar.

Who knows what great works would not have been created had anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, etc. been invented sooner? Genius and madness seem so close together.

As for religion, my thinking right now is that G-d (whatever you perceive Him, Her, It to be) is that which is so profound, it cannot be named. So humans give it a label, make up prayers and rituals, and try to find some comfort in their lives. It works for a lot of people. I guess for most people. Prayer can't hurt, either. After having been raised Catholic, studying world religions and philosophies, considering myself agnostic, then atheististic, I've actually begun to pray again. I'm searching for an understanding of what G-d is. Looking for some comfort. I think shrinks should respect the religious beliefs of their clients, and not dismiss them. Beliefs are very important and deeply ingrained.
Lorraine

Postby bpmiriam » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:40 am

Qualifing faith as hope, trust or belief in an unseen power, I would describe my 'faith' more as knowledge because I have seen and/or experienced the power of Divine Beings of Light (i.e., Gods: Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit). Knowledge is faith made perfect. My faith is perfect in knowing that Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother are the divine parents of our spirit bodies and they have celestialized immortal bodies of flesh and bone and spirit (no blood after resurrection). Jesus Christ was their firstborn in heaven and thus became the Saviour on Earth as the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh; and that The Church of Jesus Christ of LDS is the only church he claims as his own. I know this without a shadow of doubt through the witness of the Holy Spirit.

My knowledge of and relationship with the members of the Godhead (Father, Son, Holy Ghost) is the singular strengthening source and enabling power in my and my family's life. Although my relationship with Father and Son are ambivalent due to my mental illnesses (bipolar, GAD, ADHD, OCD); life circumstances (childhood abuse, mental illness and addiction in self and family, unemployment, lonliness, isolation, disability, single motherhood, etc); and my greater expectation of being blessed for trying to live my life in accordance with true eternal principles, their love and support are the glue that holds me together when I feel there's absolutely nothing else there.

Living with mixed bipolar is like living in a mental-emotional wasteland most of the time. There's a prevailing feeling of desolation and/or despair. I could not have survived and thrived to the extent that I have (which by the world's standards may not be much) if not for the knowledge and relationship I have with God.

So, short answer, my faith sustains and recovers me with I am ready to give up, which is a rather frequent feeling and desire for me. Thing about chronic mental illness is that both worldly and spiritual rewards seem meaningless and pointless when one is engulfed in the mental abyss of intractible chronic mental illness. I don't know if mere "faith" would have been enough to sustain me through it all. I suppose that's why Heavenly Father gifted me with the irrevocable, undeniable inescapable knowledge that Jesus is the Christ, the Saviour and Messiah. Because of this knowledge and my mental/emotional vulnerabilities, much of what is in the world adds to my sense of desolation and misery. It causes me great anguish knowing that so many are so far from God and unnecessarily suffering and causing suffering because of it. Although we will still experience suffering if we have faith in God, we can have remissions of such and a glimpse of the celestial through the peace and comfort imparted by the Holy Spirit. God may not answer all our prayers in the time frame we want, but he supports and sustains us in seeking the highest spiritual state we can abide.

In regard to creativity, I am a writer who was working on a book (actually, have a couple in various stages of incompleteness) of spiritual answers, but its so easy to get sidetracked when there's so much to do and it seems like everything is taking so much more time to get done.

Hope this has been useful.
bpmiriam

God showed me my mind is seperate from my brain

Postby wecaninc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 am

I do believe it is vital to have a relationship with God. But who he is and how to relate to him/her can not reliably be discovered from any group of limited beings opinion espcially since we are all biased by our own experiences and opinions and usually conflicting ones at that.

That said I belive the greatest source of truth is the personal commitment to seek it and the bible. I have heard some teachers say god is a mystery and doesn't make since the bible say that God is Love and Jesus the light of the world now why would God go through all that trouble to get his word to us if he wanted to keep us in the darkness.

All life comes from him and its in you with the built in ablility to recognize the truth in his word. Read it like you never heard anyone elses opinion before setting all presumptions down and I promise you will find the best friend you ever had one that will never leave your side.

Now thats much better than religion and definatly a wonderful anchor to the mind. (in my humble experienced opionion) Find out for your self I mean really how much of what we believe is based on what other people said or wrote. God is not a man that he could lie and no other book has surpassed this one in age or volumes. I will believe it more than any other source of info. It has to be devinly inspired to have made it through oh that I can someday believe all that it says about me and you. :)
wecaninc

Postby All4Jesusofthebible » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:22 am

Who comprehends 1 the mind 2 of the Lord, or gives him instruction as his counselor? 3

God created us knows us and loves us. It's simple it's the gospel.
He being Jesus Christ of Nazareth born in Bethlehem fulfilling biblical prophecy one of 600 or so stepped out of eternity, into our world. Was persecuted crucified and buried, on the third day he rose again and is now seated at the right hand of the Father. He is not the halfbrother of Lucifer, He is not on the planet of Kolob making babies eternally, he is not whoever you make him to be. No he is the redeemer of our souls. He came and died and rose again and whoever believes in him shall not perish this isn't all there is, the proof is overwhelming. We can have all of our Emotional, Mental, and Physical needs met by living according to his word wich is alive and active and sharper than a two edged sword seperating between the psychie and the spirit. We are all children of God made and created for him and by him, for the sake of fellowship. It is only in God you will find lasting fulfillment and not just any God or a cummulation of Gods but one and that being Jesus Christ not the Latter day saints whose quota of 144,000 in the day of tribulation has already surpassed. No Jesus the true Jesus historically recorded and divinely ressureccted. My God loves you and wants to be your God. The bible says perfect peace has he whose mind is stayed on God. There are mental illnesses in this world and they are due to sin. I am not saying that it is the suffering individuals sin. But in the actual physical garden of Eden when Eve partook of the Tree of the Knowledge of good and evil when she and her husband were decieved by the great serpant the same serpant that you are seeking to awake within yourself when you do Yoga, envoked a curse on all mankind. That's the bad news because we are all now inherently evil you say well I've never murdered anyone but have you ever been absolutely furious and wanted to the only difference between you and the person on death row is opportunity. The same is true for me for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. The good news is that Jesus sent his son and when his son died and ascended into hell and on the third day rose again he defeated death. Now those who stand with God stand in his victory. Jesus defeated Satan not because he is the half brother of Lucifer my mormon friends, NO God created Lucifer. God said in Genesis Let us create man in our image who's image The Father the Son and the Holy Spirit. In seven days the world was made not in seven ages.
NIV ©

biblegateway Isa 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

There are christian counselors out there I've been there and the One and only Son of God who is fully God and fully man came and he wants to be your counselor. Be anxious for nothing but in all things through prayer and supplication make your request known unto God. The God of Peace will be with you and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will be with you.

There are many stories but I encourage you look up the Calvary Chapel Pastor Mike Macintosh who was convinced for seven years that he didn't have a head. This happened after he was tortured with a bag over his head and injected with herione. The people treating him this way convinced him that they had blown his head off with a gun. He suffered from severe delusions. Then he gave his life to the Lord and was healed.
God loves you, Satan is the great destroyer, he has come to lie to you, rob you of your mental capacity and destroy your life. Please at least think about going to you creator.

I pray you would youse this post in Jesus Powerful Name thank you my great high priest. Amen
All4Jesusofthebible

Postby All4Jesusofthebible » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:56 pm

Illness is the lack of health
what would be more unhealthy than hell
what would be more mentally impairing then having eternal life looking you directly in your face and your ignoring it.
oh that we would know the peace that surpasses all understanding
that he would guard your heart and your mind in christ Jesus.
All4Jesusofthebible

Postby man » Wed May 20, 2009 12:27 pm

wishful illusions are created in your mind you must have full proof that something is right, right? so i agree with the many responses that you got from the latter-day-saints, we all have a sure testimony of our lord and jesus christ, it has been proven to us that it is true and i think what you need to do is find out what is the truth for you. this day in age no one relates to religion becuse of lack of judgment or society will judge according to that, nothing can relate to religion in the professional world becuase of, in my own opinion, lack of respect for others opinion. i would advice you to do your own soul searching and find that base in your life.
man

Postby moonflower » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:39 am

My father was very religious. He read the bible to us at night. He prayed vehemently. He paced the floor at night praying to god. And guess what? He was a pedophile. He was into little children, my sister especially--and also me, when I was very little. But my sister and he had a bond. She didn't tell. So he got to abuse her from age 7-17 when she got pregnant. She was nearly 50 and she blew her brains out. Anyone can be religious. They can also be very screwed up at the same time! God sure wasn't around to keep us from my father's abusive remarks, psychological battering, violent beatings, or sexual abuse. I despise religion. It was used as a coverup by my dad, so he'd seem nice to people outside our family. And after the abuse, he could pray and be "forgiven". Now how mentally disordered is THAT kind of thinking? It's pretty bad, but the real problem is the actual abuse and the horrible effect it has on the innocent victim; the child. That child is going to have a tough time having a meaningful relationship with anyone, ever. I really wish I had even a clue as to what led my father to be the abusive person that he was.... I cannot figure it out... there just seems to be no excuse to hurt your children this way... a few years after he died, was when her life came apart at the seams and she killed herself. She was bipolar... whatever... what she really was, was a victim of childhood sexual abuse by her father. In between the bible readings and the sunday school, you might say.
moonflower

Postby Smilie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:53 am

I have anxiety disorder with depression and alcoholism. I became a born-again Christian many years ago and all I can say from personal experience is that I am a walking miracle from multiple suicide attempts that could have killed me 3 times over. I know I would not be alive without the saving power of Jesus.
Smilie

religion and psychology

Postby ! squisy ! » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:59 pm

we all know that in the sub continent there are people of many different religions aswell as in the uk. and there are many people who are converting to other religions such as christianity, Buddhism ect.

anyone ever thought about converting to another religion or thought about becoming an atheist? i myself have not thought about it. but many people do.
! squisy !

Next

Return to Mental Disorders Forum