Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

SAMe and antidepressant withdrawal

SAMe and antidepressant withdrawal

Postby JeffGuy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:34 pm

I have weaned myself off of Zoloft successfully and am currently tapering off of Reboxetine prescribed by my psychiatrist for depression as these medications caused Erectile Dysfunction (ED).

I took two tablets of SAMe yesterday and was unable to sleep last night. I am currently taking 4mg of reboxetine and want to get off it and onto SAMe or other non prescription antidepressant which does not cause ED.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments to help.
JeffGuy

Postby permission2shine » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:42 am

I would strongly suggest you get hold of an excellent book called The Mood Cure by Dr Julia Ross (md/psychotherapist in USA) - especially since you are trying to get off your meds and onto natural supplements.

SAMe can made you jittery. It is important that you look carefully into what you are taking especially when coming off medication as you could just make things worse for yourself. This book has been enormously helpful for me - it tells you exactly what you need to do and what you need to take naturally (mainly amino acids - which are cheap) and what signs to look out for. You can look it up on the web. She has a website as well.
permission2shine

SAMe can made you jittery.

Postby JeffGuy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:09 am

Yes I noticed Sam-E was making me jittery so I ceased taking it several days ago and am feeling better. I do also notice my thought patterns are changing now and am not sure what to do. I do not want to start taking the SSRI antidepresents again if possible.

Does any one know if the Julia Ross 'Mood Cure' book is available at bookstores in Adelaide, South Australia as I do not have a debit card to order it overseas???
JeffGuy

Return to Mental Disorders Forum