Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Help!! My son has Intermittent explosive disorder

Help!! My son has Intermittent explosive disorder

Postby toni » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:24 am

Can anyone offer me advice on how to cope with my 14 yr old son. he was diagnosed with ADHD 5 years ago but i always new there was something different about him. He has recently been diagnosed with IED and his outburst have become really severe and more frequent lately. He is in the process of having his methylphenadate increased to 60mg (currenlty on 40mg) but i am not coping at all. He tells me that i make him worsr because i say the wrong things when he is having an outburst. He syas i am the only person that understands him so when i say something wrong it makes him even angrier. He says if i leave him alone to calm down that means i dont care about him so he gets worse too. I just dont know what to do. Im at my witts end and dont know how long i can cope or how to cope. Im a lone parent and have a 12 yr old son too. Their father is useless and wont even acknowledge my son has any condition.
toni

Tough situation

Postby Kathyred » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:16 am

I think you need to get help. Call social services or an ADHD organisation for support and advice. Look on the internet for services in your area. Try your GP or local child mental health team for advice on coping with a child with ADHD.
I'm sure you are doing your best but it can be so tough on your own, try and get as much help as you can for all of your benefit.
Kathyred

Postby Lenore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:25 pm

gee.. perhaps he should write down exactly what you are to say to him- and you should come running when he has his fits and recite the lines.

Honestly, just reading your question just made me frustrated for you.

You must be the most patient person on the planet, seriously.

We went through an organization called "Northstar" to get help for my stepdaughter- its like.. medicaid I think. It's an insurance company through the govt that covers what your insurance doesnt- or if you dont have any it covers everything.

(Im in the US, noticed some here arent.. so if this helps you- Im glad)
Lenore

ied

Postby emily » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:34 pm

my daughter has this too, undiagnosed yet, please get in touch, would love to chat
emily

Return to Mental Disorders Forum