Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

personality disorder

personality disorder

Postby SHIRLEY » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:59 pm

:( I read a article on avoidant personality. It was me to a tee. I have always been different. As long as I can remember I have this severe anxiety, and panic attacts. In grade school I was scared to go to school, I would get sick, always so inferior. I felt I was ugly, no one wanted to be my friend. I had no friends. Till this day I have no friends. I have been abandoned so many times buy my father, mother, husdand, children. Every one I have tryed to love has hurt me in some way, abused, abandoned, made me fell inferior and ashamed. As I haved aged it is still with me. Mistrust, anxiety, emptyness, lonelyness, depression, on and on. Now I know there is help for me. When I get better I may can help others.
SHIRLEY

Postby Kathyred » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 am

Shirley, the first step is helping yourself. I'm sorry you feel the way that you do. There is help out there but you need to help yourself also. Having a positive frame of mind is an easy thing to say but really does help when you want to change.
See your doctor/GP for help in the first instance and listen to what they have to say.
Kathyred

personality disorder

Postby journey1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Most of what you list as symptoms relate to Borderline PD also. Therapy (cognitive behavior and dialectal behavior therapy) help. So does a psychiatrist for meds to help control the anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, ect. Study up on BPD and see what you think. I'm receiving treatment and very slowly getting better. Some days are almost normal and that's a great improvement. (Can't believe I just said that.) Good Luck!
journey1

Postby mor9lives » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:32 pm

Let me say that I have these issues as well....

I would often have problems sleeping and I was always worrying about what people thought about me and if they got mad at me. I would always think that someone hated me if they looked at me and did anything other than smile. I used to also think that no one liked me so I avoided everyone. However, I realized that it wasn't me it was the people as well as the environment I was around.

I forced myself to not think that way and to not care what people thought about me. I gradually came to accept the fact that not everyone will love me and that not everyone is supposed to. Everyone has their own perceptions of what kind of people they like and who they will love. Nobody can love everyone. Every individual has their own preferences.

I am known for my hotheadedness but that is one thing I have tried very hard to change but cant. It is like a switch that once turned on can't be turned off until it has burnt down the house. My mother is the same way so I believe it is genetic. I also figure that if the only problem I am dealing with now is my inability to be calm and not get mad I am doing pretty good since I had so many problems initially that I have either taken care of or have actually diminished thier effects.

It helps to have a goal that you are working toward. If you have something to look forward to each day then you tend to feel more valuable inside. Set goals and the objectives to accomplish these goals. Since I have been doing this I am feeling much better about myself.
mor9lives

Return to Mental Disorders Forum