Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Doesn't almost everyone have a disorder of some sort?

Doesn't almost everyone have a disorder of some sort?

Postby starkravingtush » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Recently, I have been told that I have some sort of disorder. I don't deny that I can be antisocial or display some histrionic personalty disorder behaviours.

After reading through all the disorders, I find myself chuckling that everyone must have some sort of disorder! Well maybe not full blown but some traits here and there.

I also read through the forums. And most of the posts say that if you know someone like this, run as far away as possible from them. Because either

a) only a doctor can save them
b) only God can save them

Maybe I am idealistic. But I think the world is made up of many different types of people. It seems like some of the disorders are from childhood trauma. So my guess is that they didnt wish it upon themselves.

Can we be more forgiving and udnerstanding about people with disorders? When I was young, in my 20s, I had a friend in her 50s whom i thot was overly caring to a friend who had a personality disorder. I thought she was "doing it to herself" to care for someone like this.

Now, that I have grown older, I can see the wisdom in standing by people who are different because there is no way "telling them they have disorders" or "scolding them" or "fighting with them" will help them to adjust to this world. And sometimes, this is just your fate, your life to be in love with or care deeply for someone who might have a personality disorder.

There are those, I am sure, with disorders that have a good side to them. It's not always that they indulge in their negative behaviours. And in that sense, they like everyone else (especially if they have had a tough childhood) require our understanding.

Is it too idealistic to think that we should all be more educated about disorders, recognise them, be less judgemental and be more understanding?

Sure, they can be "energy zappers" or "emotional vampires". And it's not easy to deal with someone with these personality disorders.

What do all of you think? Is it too idealistic a proposition? I am not saying everyone needs to be more understanding of people with disorders. I am just offering a different point of view. And wondering whether in our own understanding of them, we might also get to know ourselves better.

Thots?
starkravingtush

Maybe so....

Postby H4U2C » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:47 pm

I think that anyone and everyone can suffer from any mental disorder at any time in ones lifetime- its a known fact that 1 out of 5 suffer depression, and ANXIETY disorder probably exists in everyone.
H4U2C

You might just be right :)

Postby starkravingtush » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:06 am

H4U2C, i think you are right on the money. and thats why i really believe we need to approach life with an encompassing sort of understanding and acceptance.
starkravingtush

Postby Pup » Fri May 22, 2009 10:12 am

Everyone can have symptoms from a disorder, however, it is diagnosed if it is disabling/overwhelming/distressing, etc, the individual whom is suffering, > that is why it is called "disorder" / "illness".
Pup

Postby Lenore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:17 pm

Why SURE!

because none of us have enough CRAZY in our lives- lets invite MORE!
--

If you want to be bugnutz, go be bugnutz over there, and take your kids with you.

We are all full up over here, no more room in this inn.

*changes name to bitterbetty*
Lenore

Postby researcher » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:03 am

In the imortal dialogue in "Broadcast News" -- "wouldn't it be a great world if desperation and insecurity made us attractive?"

Not to be glib, but what you suggest is not how the world works. You can beat your head against the proverbial wall advocating that the world should be different (doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome - aka the definition of insanity???) or try to deal with yourself to conform to expected norms.

Good luck.
researcher

Postby mor9lives » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Doctors will diagnose patients too easily and tell them that they have a disorder. However, only if the symptoms pop up frequently and interfer with your daily life then can they actually be a real problem. I used to take medicine until i could not afford it so now I have been dealing with my issues in my own way. A good diet and regular sleep schedules go a long way to helping to subdue the effects. I am a strong believer in " the less the medicine, the better off a person is".

I have a problem with depression caused by anxiety. It is a problem because of what it does to my thought processes and how it makes me feel. I now know when I am about to go balistic and there are a few things I know to calm me down. I have been studying for a few years my own reactions to certain stimuli and I now know what upsets me and makes me go balistic. Therefore, I will avoid certain situations. However, it causes problems at my place of employment. I have been there for years and the managers do have knowledge of this problem so they for the most part work with me. HOwever, sometimes they get annoyed....
mor9lives

Postby Corvus » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:29 pm

Everyone has some sort of neurosis, neruosis being an obsessive tendency.

However, some people, such as asperger syndrome types and psychopathic types are pathological, meaning their brains are different. They are still subject to neurosis however.

I like to think the majority of personalities are based around some sort of neurotic tendency.
Corvus

Postby Bubblebeam » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Well, a disorder is something we call a "sickness" or generally a "condition" that separates an individual from the other "normal" humans. So no, not everyone has a disorder. Might be that the doctors care less and less who they diagnose, i dont know.
Bubblebeam

Return to Mental Disorders Forum