Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Vivactil generic, has anyone tried this ?

Vivactil generic, has anyone tried this ?

Postby Cathy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:43 pm

My neighbor was just prescribed Vivactil (generic name) Protriptyline (brand name). From what I have read, it gives you energy, not many side effects. I have read on another site, that Vivactil is sedating? I would love to here from some of you who have tried or are currently on it, how is it working for you. What side effects you may have? I have a major depressive disorder, panic disorder, anixety, ptsd, borderline personality disorder, and the one I struggle with the most Bipolar disorder, I am a rapid cycler. At present my moods change with the wind! I see my shrink in about 2 weeks, I am thinking of suggesting trying the Vivactil , maybe it will help with the severe depression i have been in.
Thank you,
Cathy
Cathy

Cathy - I am familiar with your concern

Postby kevan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:24 pm

I see you wrote about 2 months ago but I just found this forum. However, I am familiar with your concern so I thought I'd send this anyway. I have taken Vivactil for 25 years, off and on. It is one of the best antidepressants available. To the best of my knowledge, it is only available in brand name (the only kind I trust). The first 4-5 days or so, you will be sleepy so, if you haven't already tried it, I would start on a Friday night or so. After that it takes about 3 weeks to get the full benefit (can also start to see improvement after one week frequently). It does energize you and can help with weight management. the only downside is (like alot of antidepressants), the effectiveness can wear off a little in time and you may need to increase your dose a little. Another thing to get used to is that it can be drying (mouth, intestinal tract (constipation), and skin). Best of luck to you - be glad you found this medication.
kevan

Return to Mental Disorders Forum