Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders  
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders

Anyone with Schizoid Personality Disorder out there?

Anyone with Schizoid Personality Disorder out there?

Postby LQ67801 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:35 pm

This is my first post on this forum. I once had a psych evaluation and was told that I had this disorder, but I did not seek treatment because of the time and expense involved. That was 10 years ago. I've been reading descriptions of this disorder and I can identify with several of the symptoms. I've never been able to make friends for as long as I can remember. I just can't connect with people. I generally prefer to be alone and have no interest in being close to my relatives. I know I'll never have a normal life and will probably never have a relationship with anyone. I've tried, but they've failed miserably. I know I should probably get help, but again, it's kind of hard because I work full-time and who knows how long therapy would take. I guess I just wanted to see if there's anyone else out there who suffers from this disorder and how you manage with daily life.
LQ67801

Schizoid

Postby Kristi620 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:11 pm

I think the fact you are asking for help or inquiring in this forum is a good start. I'm pretty sure my husband has a personality disorder. I just posted a description of him to see if anyone had suggestions on what he might have. I thought he had schiztypal or schizoid.
Back to you... if you want a relationship, you're going to need help. Women NEED an emotional attachment. She can love you for all your other differences.... but you have to be able to show her you love her and communicate with her. If you're willing to work at the issues, you have a good chance of finding a relationship.
Kristi620

Schizoid

Postby Erika244 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:22 pm

[color=indigo][/color]To the person inquiring about others with schizoid disorder. Welcome to the club. I just found out there is another name for me! :roll:
Erika244

Postby Bloppo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:06 am

From the way you talk LQ, it seems as tho you're setting yourself up for some self-fulfilled prophecies. With every advantage there's a disadvantage and likewise the other way around. I don't see it so much as suffering as much as I see it as an advantage over those who aren't this way. There are a lot of philosophers who say it's better to be detached. Have you ever read Allison Himelick's paper about schizoids ? It's not a disorder unless it's bothering others.
Bloppo

Postby H4U2C » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:35 pm

HI THERE, what meds {if any} are you being prescribed?
H4U2C

Married to A SPD

Postby Paula@odds » Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 am

New to the forum but really need someone to communicate with. I have been married ( if you can call it marriage) to a diagnosed schizoid PD for 13 years. A constant and lonely battle. I am emotionally still alive ( barely) but live in a world of no communication, warmth, humor, love, emotion. Very difficult. I am basically the emotional and physical support of my 3 children. Husband can not/will not look at the issues he brings into this and blames everyone else for the misery in our lives. I am at the end of my rope. Someone please help me understand how to deal/live with him. It is so hard to live with someone who has SPD. :(
I once asked a psychologist how to deal/relate to someone with SPD and the answer was " You Don't".
Paula@odds

therapy for schizoid

Postby kirablue » Sun May 31, 2009 7:00 pm

LQ, Many therapists have weekend & evening appointments, many people who work are in therapy. What does it matter how long it takes? The time will go by either way, and at least if you are in therapy you will make some life changes.
Paula, I have schizoid features (and borderline personality disorder). Your husband is probably not doing some things on purpose, but on the other hand he does have some control. I am sure you can find a therapist who will help you. The psychologist you talked to is dead wrong. I am in therapy and it helps a great deal. Maybe in time you and your husband could go for couples therapy.
kirablue

Schizoid Personality Disorder

Postby nysmewmew » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Honestly, I think I have that disorder because I have most of the symptoms for it. I've never been evaluated by a doctor or anything but I feel that I have it because I have a tendancy to be emotional cold, detachment or reduced affection, I dont express either positive or negative emotions towards others. I mostly enjoy solitary activities & prefer to be alone, also Im indifference to either praise or criticism not to mention preoccupation with fantasy and introspection. How can I find out if I truely have it, besides going to a shrink & if thats the only way, anyone know someone?
nysmewmew

Re: Anyone with Schizoid Personality Disorder out there?

Postby Zack » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:01 pm

I think If you focus on your work, you can be succesful and content with this disorder. I replace connecting with people with other activities\interests ( collecting wine, playing music ). I`m not sure that having failed in past relationships means you can never have them again but I also don`t know the extent of your condition. I actually would like to know just how we cross the line to this disorder. I don`t know exactly how far I am. I always see that list of symptoms and I have them but to what extent does one become schizoid?
Zack

Schizoid personality disorder

Postby deedre » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:35 am

I think Schizoid personality disorder arises from a person who has difficult experiences with other people and comes to the conclusion they are better off alone. I think for someone to stop being a schizoid they need to be able to find fault in the way they are and want to change. Also they would have to admit they need people in their life and that they always needed people in their life. Its not about wanting its about needing. Its about admitting to yourself you need others and cannot live alone.
deedre

I may have it.

Postby lullabyali » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm about 99% sure I have it.I do want to see a therapist to really know if I have it,but I'm not one bit interested in getting help.I'm fine with the way I am.I prefer to be alone.I just feel alot more relaxed and happy when I'm by myself.I do hang out with people once in awhile,but I just don't feel the need to do it daily.People call me to hang out with them,but I just prefer to do my own thing.I always prefer to do things by myself.I don't like to do things with other people at all.I also don't feel the need to be in a relationship,really doesn't interest me at all.I just prefer my space.I really don't consider this a disorder,I mean I guess they consider it a disorder,because the people who have it don't conform to what society should be like.I don't think anyone should to tell me or anyone else who I should be like.As long as it's not harmful and we are fine with it ,which I believe most are,then why should we be forced to change?

OP if you really don't enjoy being this way and it affects you in some wa, than you should get help.

nysmewmew,nope there is no other way to find out if you have it.
lullabyali

;)

Postby Ticklemewhite » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 am

I wish there were a social network just for people like us....
Ticklemewhite

feeling the same

Postby dogfriend39 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:01 pm

you just descibed me, i feel as if i just will have to adjust my life to deal with this disorder. it's hard because the lacking of relationships, failed marriages, friendships, family. also work full time so therapy is hard due to working full time. have you tried any of the atypical antipsychotics, geodon, abilify. geodon worked well for a little bit, but cost and drowsiness affected stayin on it.
dogfriend39

Schizoid

Postby WebShrink » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:40 am

A therapeutic relationship is just that--a relationship! So would it not follow that a Schizoid Personality would avoid such a situation by finding many barriers to engaging relationally with another person? You CAN change and the fact that you are asking for help shows your are on the right path. In addition to building a face-to-face therapeutic relationship, consider increasing your sensory contact with the world, engaging in activities that excite your taste, smell, touch, hearing, etc. Explore your history and see how through birth trauma--or misguided parenting--you adopted the decision that the world was a place of distrust. Increase participation in small group and community involvement.
WebShrink

Return to Mental Disorders Forum